Rhinoplasty To Improve Breathing
While rhinoplasties, also known as nose jobs, are commonly used to correct aesthetic concerns that patients have, that is not the only reason to get one. In fact, there are other benefits that you can get from a rhinoplasty, including correcting any breathing problems your nose might be causing you.
A rhinoplasty procedure that is done to correct more than aesthetics is known as a functional rhinoplasty. Having difficulty breathing is not just frustrating, but it can be detrimental to your health.
Restricted breathing in your nose can be caused by a few different things that can be corrected using plastic surgery. They can often be done without altering the shape of the nose.
The most common causes of breathing issues that lead to functional rhinoplasty are:
- Deviated Septum: Deviated septums can be a natural occurrence for many people. Your septum is a little piece of cartilage that divides the two sides of your nose that leads down to the nostrils. When the cartilage curves one way or another, it is considered to be deviated. The air is then restricted so it can’t flow easily. If you weren’t born with one, an injury to your face can cause it as well. Plastic surgery can straighten the cartilage.
- Narrow Middle Vault: Even if your septum is straight, you might still have natural breathing issues through your nose. If the passage is too narrow within your nose, even if it is straight, air will not get through. Plastic surgery can open up the passage to allow air to flow easily.
- Polyps: Polyps are small growths that can grow inside of your nasal passage. Many people don’t even know that they are dealing with them, because they are invisible on the outside, but still can hinder your breathing. A functional Rhinoplasty can remove the polyps and let your air flow well.
Consequences of Breathing Trouble
When you have trouble breathing through your nose, your body can suffer the consequences. While everyone will have constricted breathing from time to time with a common cold or allergies, suffering from restricted breathing long term can seriously harm you. This is because with limited breathing, you will not be able to have restful sleep, taking away that important time of day that your body needs to recover.
Getting limited oxygen means that your blood will not have as much oxygen circulating to all of your vital organs. Some of the most common consequences from suffering from restricted breathing include:
- Heart Trouble: Unfortunately, one major consequence of chronic breathing issues is heart trouble. This is because your heart isn’t getting the oxygen-rich blood that it needs to function well.
- Mental Health Issues: When your sleep is routinely disturbed, one of the biggest drawbacks is your brain isn’t getting a chance to properly shut down and rest. As a result, you might develop anxiety and depression as your brain struggles to deal with the lack of sleep.
- Obesity: If your body is not getting the full rest it needs, it will compensate for this by holding onto fat and calories instead of burning it. You will also have less energy to move throughout the day since you are tired.
The Shape of Things
While having your nose reshaped can be a bonus of functional Rhinoplasty, it does not need to happen. If you are perfectly happy with your nose, but would like to be able to breathe more freely, you can just have the interior of your nose corrected, leaving the exterior the same. In some instances, however, the nose might have to be altered to achieve success. Dr. Pirani will be able to evaluate your concerns and determine if you can have a functional Rhinoplasty without altering the appearance of your nose.
What to do
The first thing that you should do if you are interested in a functional Rhinoplasty procedure is to call and schedule an appointment with Dr. Pirani. He can review your concerns and discuss whether a functional Rhinoplasty is the right choice for you.
No one should suffer from difficulty breathing and all of the health issues that come along with it. A Rhinoplasty might just be the solution that you have been waiting for.