About the Treatment
- Who is a good candidate for a Mommy Makeover?
Ideal candidates for a Mommy Makeover will be done breastfeeding and having children. It is best to wait until you have finished having children before proceeding with Mommy Makeover surgeries. Additionally, you will need to be in good health. Since the makeover involves several procedures, Dr. Pirani will need to ensure you are a fit candidate for each specific procedure.
- Are Mommy Makeovers only for mothers?
While the name of the procedure makes it sound like it’s limited to mothers, the procedures can be performed on other women as well. If you have the same physical concerns as new mothers, such as sagging breasts or loose skin in the abdomen, these procedures might still be a good choice for you to reach your goals.
- Which procedures are included?
Each Mommy Makeover is built around a patient’s individual needs. Some of the procedures that can be selected for a Mommy Makeover include tummy tucks, liposuction, breast augmentation, and breast lifts. Your personal goals might be different from these procedures, however, so you should discuss all of your concerns with Dr. Pirani directly.
That being said, these are some of the common surgeries that are performed:
- Breast lift: A breast lift is often performed after you have finished breastfeeding your last child. It can be done at the same time as a breast augmentation or reduction. The breasts often lose elasticity and sag following pregnancy and breastfeeding.
- Breast augmentation: Just like with a breast lift, there are a lot of changes in breast volume and shape after having children. This can result in a deflated appearance, especially in the upper pole of the breast. Getting an augmentation can help fill out the loose skin and restore lost volume.
- Tummy tuck: Considering the amount of stretching and contraction your stomach goes through during pregnancy, it shouldn’t come as a surprise that there is often excess skin. A tummy tuck will remove excess skin and tighten the core abdominal muscles, resulting in a more toned abdominal appearance.
- Targeted fat reduction: A Mommy Makeover can also reduce specific areas of fat with liposuction, leaving you with a more desirable body shape.
- What effects will I experience?
Common side effects from Mommy Makeovers include bruising, swelling, and tightness. The side effects will fade over time as you heal. The swelling is usually the most noticeable side effect, so follow all of Dr. Pirani’s post-surgery instructions to make sure that what you are feeling is normal.
- When will I be able to return to caring for my children?
As most of the women who receive this procedure are caring for children, a common concern is when it will be possible to return to this task. There is no simple answer to this question. Patients are normally cleared to return to work two weeks after the makeover, but are instructed to avoid strenuous exercise for six weeks. So if you have children that you pick up often and you are home alone with them, you will need extra help for at least a few weeks. You should be able to lift a small child after a few weeks, but do it from the seated position, rather than bending over to lift.
- How long will it take for my scars to heal?
Dr. Pirani will try to ensure that any scars are placed in areas that are easily hidden. Scars can take up to 18 months to heal entirely. In the meantime, if you are wearing anything that exposes a scar, make sure that you are covering it with a broad-spectrum sunscreen with an SPF of at least 30.
- How soon will I see results?
Unfortunately, the final results of your Mommy Makeover will not be known for several weeks following the procedures. Because of swelling and healing time, it can be difficult to gauge how your body will look once it has completely healed. In the case of breast augmentations, you will be able to immediately tell that a change has happened, but you will not be able to see what your final breast appearance will be until you have completely healed. This usually takes six to 12 months.
Most patients will take off between one to three weeks to recover from their surgeries, depending on the procedures involved. Most patients are cleared to go back to work two weeks following the procedures. The length of your recovery depends on the type of procedures and the amount of procedures that you have done. You will still need to take it easy and not work out vigorously for six weeks following surgery. Walking is ok and recommended, but nothing intense or fast-paced.
Normally, if you have a breast lift and a tummy tuck, you can expect that you will have bruising and swelling for the first two weeks following the procedures. This is when you will need the most help if you still have young children who require your care and attention.
After three weeks, you will have an easier time moving around and the bruises should be mostly gone. You might still experience some swelling at this point, but should be able to return to much of your regular routine (except strenuous exercises).
The final stage of recovery is much easier to manage, but it will take the longest. Your swelling and bruising should all be gone, but you will still want to watch for complications. During this phase of recovery, you will be able to see the real results of the procedures. But it still can take up to a year for a tummy tuck’s results to be fully realized.
For a Mommy Makeover consultation, Dr. Pirani will spend approximately 30-45 minutes going over all of your surgical options, after which he will create a custom surgical plan that addresses all of your concerns and goals. He will go over risks and possible complications and give you an idea of what you should expect in terms of results and recovery. Dr. Pirani’s goal is to educate you so that you fully understand your customized surgical plan and feel confident and informed.
- Procedure Cost
Enhance Your Beauty
Contact us today to schedule your consultation with Dr. Pirani.