About the Treatment
- What are BOTOX®, Dysport™, and Nuceiva™?
BOTOX®, Dysport™, and Nuceiva™ belong to a class of medications known as neuromodulators. They have been used to treat facial wrinkles, excessive sweating (hyperhidrosis), bruxism, and migraines. These products are different brands of botulinum toxin A. BOTOX® has been in use in Toronto for many years, whereas Dysport™ and Nuceiva™ are more recent additions to Toronto’s cosmetic market.
- How do these treatments work?
These treatments work by temporarily blocking the signals to muscles causing them to contract. This results in fewer noticeable lines and wrinkles. These treatments are safe and effective methods approved by the FDA and Health Canada to prevent wrinkle formation.
BOTOX®, Dysport™, and Nuceiva™ are injected into an individual’s muscles and work by blocking nerve impulses of the treated muscles, which leads to the overall reduction of muscle activity in the injected area. This, in turn, leads to the creation of fewer wrinkles, improving your appearance as the fine lines and wrinkles diminish, leaving you with a natural, youthful result.
When personally administered by an experienced professional like Dr. Pirani, the treatment is highly effective as well as safe.
- In what areas of the face can these treatments be used?
BOTOX®, Dysport™, and Nuceiva™ have been used to provide wrinkle-free skin to many areas of the body including the area around the eyes, eyebrows, lips, and forehead. At the Toronto Plastic Surgery Center, Dr. Pirani is the only practitioner to inject you—we don’t use nurses for these injections.
- How long does it take to see results?
Even though injecting BOTOX®, Dysport™, or Nuceiva™ is a very quick procedure, final results will not be immediately visible post treatment. It takes two to five days for the effects of the treatment to begin, resulting in a reduction of wrinkles and facial lines in the early stages, with final results being visible after a period of two weeks.
- What are the benefits of this treatment?
BOTOX®, Dysport™, and Nuceiva™ offer a non-surgical solution to reducing fine lines or wrinkles, lifting drooping eyebrows, and creating smoother skin. Furthermore, these treatments are also used to treat excessive sweating (hyperhidrosis), and bruxism (jaw grinding or clenching) from masseter hypertrophy.
- Who is a good candidate for BOTOX®, Dysport™, and Nuceiva™ treatments?
If you’ve noticed any of the following, then you may be an excellent candidate for these treatments:
- Vertical lines between your eyebrows (frown lines)
- Horizontal lines in your forehead (forehead wrinkles)
- Lines and wrinkles around your eyes (crow’s Feet)
- A drooping eyebrow or poor eyebrow shape
- Wrinkles and lines around your lips (marionette lines and smoker’s lines)
- Horizontal lines on your nose (bunny lines)
- Horizontal lines above your chin
- A widened jaw (common in patients with bruxism or jaw grinding/clenching)
- Hyperhidrosis or excess sweating in your armpits or palms
- Prominent bands in your neck
- How many units of BOTOX®, Dysport™, or Nuceiva™ do I need?
Assessing the right amount can only be determined by your doctor, but a basic understanding of the average units needed for each procedure will help you decide if BOTOX®, Dysport™, or Nuceiva™ is for you.
- Frown lines: The average patient needs 15-30 units over three to five injection sites.
- Crow’s feet: The average patient needs 12-24 units for around the eyes, with each eye composed of three to four injection sites.
- Forehead lines: The average patient needs 8-24 units over seven to ten injection sites.
All these are basic units needed, but your individual dosage depends upon a variety of factors, such as your gender, treatment area, and facial muscle strength.
- How much do BOTOX®, Dysport™, and Nuceiva™ cost?
The cost of your treatment is entirely dependent on your individual needs as well as on the area that you are having treated. Please keep in mind that we charge a minimum of $200 for any injectable treatment.
- Botox is $14 per unit, but the amount of units needed varies.
- The average cost range for treating frown lines is between $210 to $420, depending on your situation.
- Botox that is performed around the eyes can cost between $168 and $336, but the amount could be slightly more or less depending on the individual.
- Another example is the forehead, which can take 8 to 24 units, so can cost between $112 and $336 on average.
- Are there any side effects of this treatment?
When administered by an expert injector, you should experience minimal side effects, especially when you follow your doctor’s post-treatment advice. Most patients only experience minor injection site redness and swelling for one to two hours post treatment. Dr. Pirani will review potential risks, benefits, and complications with you during a thorough consultation.
- Are BOTOX®, Dysport™, and Nuceiva™ safe?
As injecting BOTOX®, Dysport™, and Nuceiva™ is a cosmetic procedure with temporary effects, it is usually safe for most individuals, provided it is performed by an experienced injector such as Dr. Pirani. Dr. Pirani will review your medical history to ensure you do not have any contraindications to treatment prior to your BOTOX®, Dysport™, and Nuceiva™ injections.
- How long do the results from BOTOX®, Dysport™, and Nuceiva™ treatments last?
Results usually last approximately three to four months in most individuals when optimally dosed. In some cases, such as when used for excessive sweating (hyperhidrosis), results may last up to six months.
- Who will administer my injections?
When it comes to your health and well being, you don’t expect second best. Dr. Pirani distinguishes himself from other practitioners in that he does all injections himself, relying on his years of experience and meticulous, personal care. For these reasons patients choose him, time and time again, for their BOTOX®, Dysport™, and Nuceiva™ treatments.
- What should I avoid following treatment?
As non-invasive as BOTOX®, Dysport™, and Nuceiva™ are, it can be easy to overdo certain actions following your procedure. To receive the best results possible, it’s important that you avoid these things after your treatment:
- Exercise: Once injected, the BOTOX®, Dysport™, or Nuceiva™ needs to settle in your body for 24 hours before you work out. Avoid any strenuous physical activity. Just take it easy.
- Rubbing the injection sites: You need to avoid this to keep the BOTOX®, Dysport™, or Nuceiva™ where you want it and not move it into other areas.
- Consuming alcohol: Drinking alcohol after your BOTOX®, Dysport™, or Nuceiva™ procedure could cause you to bruise where you wouldn’t have otherwise. You should also avoid alcohol for a few days before your treatment.
- Sleeping on your face: This might be a challenge for people who sleep on their stomach, but you need to avoid doing that right after a procedure. Even if you are just taking a simple nap, pressure on your injection sites can cause the BOTOX®, Dysport™, or Nuceiva™ to shift out of place.
- Heat exposure: Due to the redness and swelling that can accompany BOTOX®, Dysport™, or Nuceiva™ injections, you will need to keep yourself in the shade until the swelling goes away.
- Blood thinners: Do not take blood thinners following your procedure or right before it. This is to prevent excess bleeding or bruising at the injection sites.
- Who should not use BOTOX®, Dysport™, or Nuceiva™?
You should avoid treatments if:
- You are allergic or sensitive to any of the ingredients
- You are allergic to cow’s milk protein (only an issue with Dysport™)
- You have myasthenia gravis, Eaton Lambert Syndrome, amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, or another muscle disorder
- You are allergic or sensitive to any botulinum toxin product
- You have an infection at the proposed injection site
- You are taking aminoglycoside antibiotics
- You are pregnant
- You are nursing
- What can I do to prepare for my BOTOX®, Dysport™, or Nuceiva™ treatments?
You should avoid using any non-essential medication or herbal remedy that may increase your chance of bruising for two weeks before your treatment session. This includes:
- Aspirin (only stop this if your family physician indicates it is safe to do so)
- Fish oils
- Vitamin E
- Ginkgo biloba
- Saw palmetto
The beauty of getting a BOTOX®, Dysport™, or Nuceiva™ treatment is that you can walk into our office in Toronto on your lunch break, with virtually no downtime after the treatment is over. Results begin after a period of two to five days, with the full benefits being clear after two weeks, as it takes time for the muscles to relax.
Even though this is popularly known as a lunch break procedure, you must take caution that you avoid any strenuous activity or exercise at least one to two days after your treatment. You should also avoid lying completely flat, massaging the injected areas, and taking blood thinning medications for a few days after your treatment.
Be sure to follow Dr. Pirani’s aftercare instructions and ask him for any recommendations on beauty regime changes in relation to any medication you may be taking prior to and following your treatment.
For a BOTOX®, Dysport™, or Nuceiva™ consultation, Dr. Pirani will discuss your options with you and create a custom treatment plan that addresses all of your concerns and goals. He will go over risks and possible complications and give you an idea of what you should expect in terms of results and recovery.
Although this initial consultation is quite thorough, the procedure itself is relatively quick, and many patients come in for BOTOX®, Dysport™, or Nuceiva™ treatments during their lunch breaks to maximize efficiency. Dr. Pirani’s goal is to educate you so that you feel confident and informed, and he and the Toronto Plastic Surgery Center team will do everything possible to accommodate your schedule.
- Procedure Cost
$14/unit (Taxes not included)
(Minimum $200 spend) injected by Dr. Pirani
Enhance Your Beauty
Contact us today to schedule your consultation with Dr. Pirani.